If you have a vested interest in the needs of people, and care about their well-being, then you may consider becoming a Certified Nursing Assistant, or CNA. However, some people do not have the time to complete this kind of training, and thus educational providers have come up with some great online programs to assist those who wish to pursue a career in nursing.
How To Determine The Right Program For You
Becoming a CNA is not for everybody, and some people may be concerned about whether it is the right career choice for them. However, in just a few simple steps, you can figure out not just whether course is the right one for you to try, but also how to do your training online.
First, candidates should look online to find a self-assessment tool. They will probably find many quizzes that allow them to assess whether becoming a CNA is the right choice. These may include questions such as: can you see yourself washing patients or changing bedpans? This is specifically done to separate those who are serious from those who are simply looking for a quick fix career.
Next, candidates should do some online research. This will yield the types of programs that are available and how they can be completed. It will also give them a good idea of what career options exist for them, once they have completed their studies. What they will usually find is that CNAs are in high demand, and that because the courses can be completed online, there is no need for lengthy training.
Once this happens, you need to research what skills will be learned and the exams you will have to write. If these do not seem to correspond to what your idea of what a CNA should be doing, then this may not be the course for you. You also need to research how many people graduate from the particular school, so that if there is a high success rate, you will be more assured of success.
Online CNA Schools For Trainees
Anyone considering becoming a CNA and completing their training online, will be pleased to learn that there are many online schools with which they can register. To register candidates must have a high school diploma, but the choice of school is vast. Some of the best include:
- Allied Health Institute – this vocational school is one that offers many diploma and degree training programs to those with a high school diploma. Using the internet as a platform, the institute provides trainees with the basics in becoming a CNA. From the comfort of their own home study, students will be given the chance to participate in a virtual classroom and to talk with other students and with the course instructor. Students can complete the program anywhere and in their own time, which means that if they are already working, they won’t have to take any days off.
- Stratford Career Institute – in less than six months, students can earn a diploma as an assistant in all types of medical fields, including the certified nursing assistant field. Students will be able to access the program from any web-enabled computer or tablet, and can complete when they have the time. They will also be able to talk to other students and their instructors as the need arises, to assist them with their studies.
- Grand Canyon University – this online CNA school offers a variety of degrees and diplomas to those who wish to complete their studies online, and encourages students to partake in their online seminars and participate in the online discussions, either virtually, or via the forum. Students can study at any time of the day and from any location.
- South University Online – specifically engineered for adult learners, this school has built its online courses based on the curriculum used at its physical buildings. This is so that students wishing to complete their education here have the option to partake in learning online, or to visit the campus should they need to. Students will be pleased to know that the standard here is of a high quality and they can complete the course as time permits.
- The Chamberlain College of Nursing – offering a recognized degree and highly respected training, this college also allows students to participate in clinical experiences in their areas, providing them with the theoretical and practical knowledge they will need to become an excellent CNA.
Many online CNA schools claim to offer free training, but this may only be in part until a fee is paid. Ensure that if you are going to be signing up for an online program, that it is comprehensive and recognized by a regulatory body. If you receive an offer to study to become a CNA, ensure that the institution at which you will study is recognized by a government body or other authority in the medical field.
What You Can Expect To Learn Online
CNAs have a large responsibility once they start working. They will be responsible for home care of people trapped at home by disease or disability, will need to assist in hospitals and will generally be responsible for the medical care of patients. With this amount of responsibility, it is vital that they understand how to perform their duties well, and this involves partaking in a number of courses to learn all there is to know about becoming a CNA with online CNA schools.
This could include learning about:
- Medical terminology – of course if you are going to work in a medical field with doctors and nurses, it is advisable that you have a good understanding of the terminology they will use. This means learning biological and pharmaceutical terms, and even the parts of the human anatomy that you will be caring for.
- Basic safety in emergencies – it is vital in this field that you understand how to care for yourself and others in emergency situations, especially since in a hospital, there may be many of these. For those who have trained as a paramedic before doing CNA training, this will be easy to complete.
- Data collection – this topic may seem strange, but part of a CNA’s job is administration. To do this effectively, a CNA will need to show evidence of organization and being ready for any situation. You may need to do filing, typing or assisting in any field that you are required to.
- Nutrition and daily living – this is especially important for those who will be in home-based care. Whether it is taking care of those with disabilities, or looking after the elderly, anyone who is assisting someone from their home must be able to look after their nutritional needs and advise them on such issues as proper rest and rehabilitation.
- Hygiene – it is vital when working in home care that you know how to clean patients properly and assist them with issues of the bowel and bladder. Some will not be able to get to the bathroom, while others simply will not have the mental facilities to control their bowels or wash themselves.
- Hospital processes and procedures – if you will be working in a hospital, you will need to know how they work and what will be expected of you. This means learning processes, terminology and even the job functions of the other staff, so that you can fit in well and do your job to the best of your ability.
Solutions To Potential Problems Of Training Online
For some people, the thought of using online CNA schools is simply out of the question. They assume that using an online school gives you a qualification that is not valid, or that will not be recognized. However, if you want to get hired as a CNA, and you have completed your training at a reputable online institution, you have just as much chance of getting a job as someone who attended a physical college. It is true that some employees may not like the fact that you have completed your training at an online school, and may not even ask you for an interview. This is why having a detailed resume is so important, and talking through your particular skills is vital. You should also have done some volunteering in a local clinic to work up some hours. This will impress potential employers.
Of course, some will argue that with an online qualification, no clinic will take you on and you will not be able to complete your hours. However, many of these facilities are so short-staffed, that they will be willing to allow anyone with the right qualifications to enter and assist. An online program is often referred to as a hybrid program. This is because it gives you the CNA qualification but not in the conventional way. It is also important that when you consider the school that you will attend, that you check to see that it is regulated and accredited by a governing body.
In many cases, you can access online forums to have discussions with other potential students, and to ask for advice on the best programs to attend.
So What Are The Benefits Of Online CNA Schools?
The benefits of studying online are many, and if you decide that this is the path you will pursue, you will be pleasantly surprised at how much time and resources you save. Some of the benefits include:
- You can study anywhere and at any time. If you only have nights free, or you have some time at work to spend on your studies, you can access the online forum and study from wherever you happen to be. The keyword here is convenience. Studying online is more convenient and uses less of your personal resources so that you can still live your life. Flexibility makes these courses more attractive to potential students.
- Courses will be updated regularly if they are online. Can you imagine sitting in a classroom with textbooks that are updated once a week? Of course not, because this is not practical. However, on the internet, updates take effect instantly, so that you always have access to the latest information, and this means you have the best knowledge possible.
- You can interact with other students while you study. The unique nature of studying online means you always have a portal through which you can share information and learn from others. From the other students to the teacher, you always have a virtual way to plug in to others’ ideas.
- It is cheaper. In many cases, studying online can work out to be a cheaper option, because the institution does not have as many costs to cover, and thus does not need to charge such high fees. Also, by purchasing your own books, sometimes online, you will save money too.
Using online CNA schools to do your training is a better option than studying in an institution. No matter where you are, how old you are or what level of skills you have, you can train to become a CNA quickly and easily, with the minimum of fuss and the maximum utilization of your resources. If you value your free time and you need to work to get a salary and to take care of your family, you will appreciate that by studying online you don’t have to make any sacrifices.
The benefits of studying any course online are many, and with this course in particular, studying online means you get all of the theory you need. You can then go to a clinic or assist in home care and do your practical training, which will aid you in getting a job and making more money than you currently do.
There are also various institutions at which you can study online, and by doing a little research and thinking through what you can afford and the time you can realistically spend on the course, you will be more confident in your decision to complete your education at online CNA schools.