In this day and age getting and education in an area that you are interested in has become a whole lot easier. For example, it is now possible to get EMT training online, although this is, of course, only the theory side of the course. The point is, however, that you will be in a position to get the training you desire without the constraints of time and distance to hold you back. Read further to find if online EMT training is what is right for you.
Learning To Be An EMT Online
To apply for any Emergency Medical Technician course you will have to:
- Comply with the minimum age requirement in your state (which is usually 18 years of age, but in some states it is lower).
- Be in a physical state that allows you to lift heavy loads and engage in all of the physical requirements of an Emergency Medical Technician.
- Have good eyesight, and if you have bad eyesight, it will need to be sufficiently corrected either with glasses, surgery, or contacted lenses.
- Have a valid driving license.
- Have at the very minimum a high school diploma.
If you decide to do your EMT training online you will be preparing yourself to:
- Provide life-saving procedures to people who have been involved in accidents and to assist them in dealing with their injuries, illnesses and traumas when such events occur outside of a hospital setting.
- You will need to pass an exam that is in line with the requirements of the particular state in which you would like to work once you are qualified, and you will have to do a certain amount of practical work in order to sufficiently qualify as an emergency medical technician.
In order to become an EMT you will need to complete the online course within the time specified by the particular course that you are taking part in. Usually the time that you will have to complete the course is something like 110 hours. If you look at the coursework and suspect that you may be unable to complete it in the specified time, then you may want to reconsider your career choice.
Advantages Of EMT Training Online
There are several very convincing advantages to doing a portion of your online EMT training. The best advantages are the following:
- Time is flexible. You will be able to adjust your study schedule to suit your needs. Many people are blocked from studying further due to the fact that they have to work as well as study as they have no other means to support themselves. This is not always possible as many employers are not very understanding of a student’s needs. With an online course you can study when it suits you and when you can find time for it.
- You will not have to quit the job you already have. This is related to the previous point. If you are able to study at any time and fit your studies in around a full-time job then you won’t have to sacrifice the work you already have just to enter EMT training for a future job. This is great as you do not want to burn bridges with your current employer and you will be able to continue maintaining yourself.
- You will be able to study at your own speed. That is perhaps one of the best advantages. Were you to take classes in a traditional face-to-face situation, you may find that the lecturer moves at a pace that is too fast for you and does not review the areas that you struggle with the most. Likewise you may find that the classroom pace is too slow and that you are able to move at a much faster speed through the coursework when you study by yourself. As long as you are able to properly manage your time, then doing your EMT classes online will make it easier for you to work at a speed that suits you best.
- Related to the previous point is the idea that you will be able to devote the time necessary to the aspects of the work that you are struggling with the most. You will be able to keep your focus on the areas that need the most attention, and not waste time and effort reviewing work that you are already sufficiently familiar with.
- Unlike classroom programs, you will be able to study for qualification in a state other than the one you live in. this is an important advantage of EMT certification online because different states have different requirements for practicing as an EMT in that particular state. If you are planning to relocate as soon as you qualify then you will not have to retake the test or catch-up any missed points in order to work in a different state.
- If you need to be re-certified you will be able to do this from your own home and without having to deal with any face-to-face situations at any point.
What You Get With An Online EMT Program
When you decide to do your online EMT courses you will find that the lessons are laid out in the following ways:
- The lessons will be web based (as implied by the fact that it is an online course), making it a lot easier to study in your own time and at your own pace. You will not be tied down by work constraints and distance problems.
- The lessons will be self-paced. This means that you will be able to complete the course work at your own speed. You will not be tied down by slow students and neither will you be outpaced by students who are quicker than you are. Rather you will control the speed at which you work.
- Such resources as podcasts and videos will be used in order for you to get a clear understanding of the life-saving techniques and skills in which you will have to be well-versed in order to be an efficient EMT.
With an online EMT course you will learn about:
- Human anatomy
- Human physiology
- General pharmacology
- Medical terminology
- How to respond to asthma attacks
- How to respond to heart attacks
- How to respond to overdoses
- How to respond to strokes
- How to respond to choking
- What to do in the case of a pregnant woman giving birth unexpectedly
- How to lift patients
- How to move patients
- How to identify and check vital signs
- What to do in the case of airway obstructions
- How to administer CPR
- How to set fractures
- How to stop bleeding
- How to use medical equipment (such as backboards and oxygen masks) that are related to the profession of being an EMT
- How to administer oral medication
- How to administer intravenous medication
- How to administer and record EKG information
- How to intubate patient
- How to administer oxygen
- How to use suction devices
Is An Online Program Enough?
Something that is essential for you to remember is that EMT online training will only provide you with the theory side of the training. If you want to become an EMT then you will need to also do some practical training at some point. This should be obvious. You cannot learn how to use the appropriate machinery in the appropriate way if you are only learning online. There has to be some practical and real-life input if you are to be a qualified and effective EMT.
Things to remember when considering an Online EMT Training Program
- You will have to engage in some practical work in order to get the hand-on experienced required to qualify s an EMT.
- You should only do EMT training online with programs that meet the standards as they are laid out by the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians(NREMT).
- Some courses are only refresher courses for students who already hold an EMT qualification, so make sure that you are choosing an online EMT certification course that suits you and that will get you the qualifications that you are particularly aiming to get.
- Some courses may expect you to re-take the entrance exam even if you have previously passed it for another EMT qualification, so be aware of this when applying.
As long as you keep in mind that an online EMT course is not where your training ends, then feel free to embark along this route. There are a large number of advantages to doing EMT training online, and it will allow you to open up your career options and broaden your horizons without compromising your current job. Many of the online courses will also provide you with the information and opportunities necessary to complete the practical training which means that you may be in the position to do all of your training in more or less one place. As health related industries are the ones that are growing the fastest in terms of job opportunities and job security, you will find that this is a very stable career on which to embark, and you will not regret your decision to do EMT training online.